Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesday in Sierra Leone

It is Ash Wednesday today. Several of the participants at the opening of the conference at 9AM proudly wore their ashes on their foreheads. George, Bob, Ray, and I will be going to Mass tonight at 6PM. We are all anxious to participate in an Ash Wednesday celebration. The conference has been going well. There are 75 participants and they possess an eagerness to learn that is incredible. My Theology of Hope sessions were well received. Mr. Garrett would be proud of me as I got several "amens" and "alleluias" from the class. Maybe there is a little "Baptist preacher" in my blood, as Dermot would say. Ray spent hours and hours yesterday trying to get a communication hookup onlyto find out that it just ain't gonna work. Sorry!!!

Sierra Leone is a beautiful country and it's people are so welcoming. I am amazed as I watched the continual activity outside the internet cafe where we must go to get any kind of internet connection. What amazes me so much is that no one carries anything in their hands. Everyone carries everything on their heads, hustling peanuts and leaves, and all sorts of food that I have never seen before. Yesterday I saw a boy carrying a tire rim on his head. Women with babies on thier backs is very common and many will stop when you want to take their pictures. All school children are in uniform and each color uniform represents a different school. Boys on motorbikes serve as taxis to the people moving them very swiftly around the area. Across the street from the internet cafe is a market place filled with clothing from the United States and other countries. In a way it is a good thing, but having the abundance of western clothes has also destroyed the garment industry in Africa. This afternoon Ray, JU, Aminada and I are going to a Catholic Grade school (St. Vincent's) I think to deliver some soccer balls and spend time with the students. I am looking forward to that. Tomorrow we will watch Dr. Maggi perform a fistula surgery. There is so much to tell and so little time. I will leave you today with a note that we are all doing well even in the heat and high humidity. A special note to Char, I love you!! And to the rest of my family - I look forward to seeing you and talking to you when I return. Jim

10 comments:

  1. Hey, Mr. Rogers!

    We're so glad you arrived safely and are well underway with your work there. What an amazing experience! We are looking forward to hearing it all firsthand from you when you get home. I hope you're taking TONS of pictures!

    Peter and Sarah miss you at school!

    We are all praying for you and your colleagues!

    Peace,

    Terry, Laura, and all the kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pops:

    Me, Heather, and Ava are so happy to hear that you made it there safe and sound. We hope that you continue to have a safe and successful journey. What an experience that must be! We love you very much and are excited to hear all about it when you return. Ava said she misses you very much, I guess Heather and I do to :)

    Love, Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,we've been following your progress and you can hear the excitment and Love for what you're doing there. Please know that everyone in the RCIA and at St James are praying for you and the rest of the group. We're looking forward to you being back and hearing all the stories we know you'll have.By the way Ray make sure to take good care of that Brother of yours he's real special to us. Lastly Jim my nephew Jack wanted to say hi and he misses you to. Love Bob & Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray, George, Bob, Jim, Darrius,

    Greetings from Butte!

    I too am headed to Ash Wednesday celebration here in about an hour. I will be saying a special prayer for all of you that God will keep you in the palm of His hand as you continue on your journey!

    It was disappointing that the video connection could not be established but the positive always remains that it was a learning experience and will lead to improvements for next time!

    Take care! It is a privilege and honor to be associated with all of you.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray,
    I'm proud of you! Know you are doing what you were meant to do....share hope and compassion with those less fortunate. You have all been in my prayers! Take care of each other!
    Until soon!
    I love you!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim and Ray,

    I am so proud of you guys! I know you guys are doing what you are meant to be doing. I love you guys and stay safe.

    Love
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr.Rogers,
    I am so glad you are doing what you set out to do! You are truly an inspiration to me and the entire Christian Service class (not to mention the entire LCHS student body!). We do miss you at school, and I miss getting to call you in the morning to say "Hey Mr.Rogers it's Melissa from Ressurrection calling we're all here and accounted for!" But I can't tell you how happy I am for you, this experience is one that I am sure you are taking full advantage of and I know you will make the most out of your time spent there. Have a wonderful rest of the week! WE MISS YOU!!! (and I'm glad you liked the going away party because we will be having a welcome back party as well!) Best of Luck :) Melissa Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ray,
    I know you are moving on in your journey to Kabala in the morning. Please be safe! I am so glad that you and Jim are experiencing this together. Side by side making a difference.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    "The future of humanity lies in the hands of those who are willing, and able, to give hope to others".

    Until soon! I love you!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Rogers,
    Having fun with your freshmen class! We have been praying for you and for all the people you are traveling and working with in Sierra Leone. We of course were disappointed that the satellite connection didn't work, but we look forward to hearing your stories when you return.
    May God bless you during the remainder of your journey and bring you safely back to us!!
    Peace & blessings,
    Miss Nash

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey pops, mom wanted me to write you a comment for her, so hello from your loving wife...Char. She is coming up here tomorrow to hang out with me, Heather, and Ava. We are excited for you to be back in town and share all your wonderful stories and pictures. Ava says hello too!

    Continue doing your thing! Tell Ray I said what's up and that he is making me m---t :)

    Love, Kenny

    ReplyDelete