Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sierra Leone Map and Statistics

On February 22, 2009, the MLI team will arrive in Freetown, Sierra Leone. From there, the team will travel by car to Bo, Sierra Leone to (1) provide a Safe Passages Training Workshop for healthcare workers from throughout Sierra Leone, and (2) conduct a video communication demonstration project. The team will also travel to the village of Kabala before returning home (see map).


Sierra Leone has the highest maternal death rate at 2,000 per 100,000 live births. In comparison, the United States’ maternal death rate is 11 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births. In 2005, it was estimated that a woman’s lifetime risk of maternal death is 1 in 8. Sierra Leone also has the highest mortality rate in the world for children less than 5 years of age.

Following are some relevant statistics for Sierra Leone:

Population: 5.7 million
Size: 27,700 sq. miles (slightly smaller than South Carolina)
Capital City: Freetown

Life expectancy at birth male/female: 39/42 years
Mortality rate, infant (per 1,000 live births): 159.2
Probability of dying under five (per 1,000 live births): 269
Total expenditure on health per capita (Intl $, 2005): 41

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Jenny Chu. I am a graduate student at UC Berkeley's Journalism School and will be departing for Sierra Leone on Feb. 28th to film/document Dr. Maggi and his fistula clinic in Bo. I am wondering if your group will be doing any fistula specific work that I could also document. Also what kind of work will you be doing in Kabala?

    Thank you for your attention. I'm sorry I am writing as late as today, but I only just read your blog. I hope I catch you before you leave tomorrow.

    Sincerely,

    Jenny 510-798-8499

    ReplyDelete