Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Some reflection and thank you's

Let me begin by offering my sincerest thanks to Bob and George for their leadership on this trip. It was truly a remarkable experience that I will never forget. I know why you do what you do and am so thankful that I was able to be a part of it. Your passion, your compassion are truly gifts from God used properly - for others. A thank you to my brother Ray for encouraging me to be a part of the team. To be able to share this with you meant so much to me. Your knowledge, your ability to get things done are inspiring. So, thank you, gentlemen, for allowing me to tag along. I see things differently - and that is good.

As for my own reflection I offer this: Change can happen! The people who participated in the workshop assured me of that. On the very first day during introductions George had each participant give their name and what they hoped to learn during the workshop. The most common answer was: everything you have to teach us. And a policeman attending said: 'We don't want any more mothers and babies dying, we want to learn everything to save them." With that challenge, Bob and George proceeded to teach them everything with remarkable clarity and the "students" were like sponges, absorbing their every word. Change can happen! And it will because those who participated can now go back to their hospitals, clinics, and villages and teach others what they have learned and with that Change will happen!

Ray and I were fortunate to be able to visit schools and an orphanage both in Bo and in Kabala. All administrators were most gracious and welcoming as they gave us tours of their facilities. One of my purposes in going to Sierra Leone was to access the education system and determine ways that Lancaster Catholic High School can help. Through our guided tours and personal conversations we found several needs and are now busily working on ways to meet those needs. Whether it is repairing the roof at St. Pius School, or equipping the library at the school in Kabala with books newer than the late 1980's and mid 1990's, we will attempt to do what we can. And Change will happen! Thanks to Father Peter, John, and JU we had a wonderful time meeting the children and older students. Seeing the looks on their eyes when we gave them a few new soccer balls raised our spirits - the thankfulness of the young Sierra Leoneans was heartwarming. Unfortunately we only had a few balls to give out. Yet, with a pump in hand we were able to fill a ball being used by a group of children in Kabala. The excitement and happiness they expressed in having a soccer ball with air in it left us speechless. How valuable this simple gesture was to these children can never be measured in dollars and cents, but only in hugs, handshakes, and thank you's.

Yes, Change can Happen! It doesn't take a lot. The people of Sierra Leone are happy with simple changes, with little changes. I sensed that they feel the big things will take care of themselves. Each little thing we can do; each little gesture of love and compassion; each time we opened an ear to listen to their needs; each soccer ball, tee shirt, or hat given away; each child's hand held; each minute of each and every day Change Happened. And the biggest change was in me! I received from these wonderful people more than I could ever give. I am blessed because of them! I am happier at choosing to live more simply so that others can simply live.

One more word of thanks - to Sister Helen and Miss Nash for teaching my freshmen classes while I was gone. You will never know how much I appreciate what you did. I owe you big time! And to Mr. Garret for allowing me the time away from school. Thanks to all of you!

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment